St. George Volunteer Firefighters & Ambulance Association
3 School Street | P.O. Box 249
Tenants Harbor, ME 04860
St. George Volunteer Firefighters & Ambulance Association | 3 School Street P.O. Box 249 | Tenants Harbor, ME 04860
The Ambulance Support Team is a team of 100+ individuals who supplement the association with skills and resources as needed. Their major roles are two-fold:
- To help educate the community regarding the difference between the Fire Department and the Ambulance Service.
- To help relieve some of the technical volunteers by supplying non-technical assistance. Including:
In addition, the following sub-groups have been organized to focus on these key initiatives:
- Preparation, setup, busing, cleanup and baking for St. George Days and the Lobster Stew Dinner
- Providing crossing guards for the Trekker's annual bicycle event
- Providing photo coverage for all major events - Thanks to Mark Shapiro, Tech-tiques Gallery, for the use of his photos on this site.
- Volunteering as "casualties" in emergency training events
- Stocking the freezer for Emergency Workers and Shelter Group
- Providing food and water on-site if necessary for larger scale fires and emergencies
St. George Days and Lobster Stew Group
A group of St. George residents that volunteer to help the Association during these two specific fund raising events. St. George Days is always the third Saturday in July. The Lobster Stew Dinner is always the Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend. These events could not take place without the generous donation of lobsters from local fishermen, lobsters from local area wharfs and items such as butter, rolls, corn and coleslaw donated by local businesses on the peninsula.
For the St. George Days fund raising event we help set up the equipment, tents, tables and chairs outside the Town office in the parking lot. We also solicit our friends (and ourselves) to make pies and various other desserts to sell during the event. During the day long event (lunch and dinner) we coordinate shifts of volunteers to buss tables.
For the Lobster Stew Dinner fund raising event we help pick lobster the day before the event and help set up tables, chairs and buss tables throughout the evening of the event. We also solicit our friends (and ourselves) to make pies and various other desserts to sell during the evening.
Both events have been St. George traditions for years and attract generations of family members while also helping the Association raise much needed funds for the St. George Ambulance.
The Food Group consists of volunteer St. George residents who have several important ongoing activities. The first activity is to make sure the freezer in the kitchen of the fire house is stocked with frozen food which can be cooked during an extended fire/ambulance call. When the fire and EMS crew returns to the station after a long call, vehicles have to be re-stocked, equipment such as fire hoses have to be rolled out to dry, gear needs to be washed and the crew needs to re-energize by eating some food. A member or members of the Food Group arrive at the station and start cooking this food along with the Town Manager who is already at the station starting the cooking.
A second activity is to provide food to the crew on site during an extended call. Cases of water are stocked on all the trucks but not food. Food such as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ham sandwiches and cookies help keep the crews energy level up.
A third activity is to provide healthy snacks during CPR/First Aid training courses and crew training events. These training events last for hours and a snack helps energize the participants.
For further information concerning these groups
please contact Liz May at:
This page last updated 1/23/2016
- 100% of the funding for the Fire Department comes from the town budget
- The majority of funding for the Ambulance Service comes from donations